Revolution #66, October 22, 2006
This call was issued by The World Can’t Wait—Drive Out the Bush Regime and the Bush Crimes Commission.
Call for Nationwide Emergency Teach-ins, October 26-30
Where is the Bush Regime taking the World?
Why Must it Be Stopped?
The world faces a grave emergency. The very nature of U.S. society and its relationship to other countries are being reshaped in horrific ways before our eyes. Yet the full implications of these sweeping changes are not widely understood, even among those who oppose the Bush administration. This must change!
Consider—the U.S. government has now legalized torture and shredded constitutional promises of the basic and foundational rights of due process. This unprecedented action is not an isolated incident; it is part of a larger Bush administration package that includes:
- the on-going occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan, with ominous threats of war on Iran, possibly nuclear war—all expressions of a strategy of unchallenged global supremacy and an illegal doctrine of “preventive war”
- the Patriot Act, NSA spying, the Military Commissions Act—all represent significant and qualitative steps towards a police state under a president unrestrained by law
- systematic assaults on women’s rights to abortion and birth control, with the growing danger abortion will be outlawed.
- a criminal response to Hurricane Katrina that still continues.
- the denial of the basic human rights of gay, lesbian, bi-sexual and transgender people
- new repressive legislation aimed at immigrants, along with the militarization of the US -Mexico border
- systematic obstruction of efforts to curb global warming
- a dramatic erosion of the separation of church and state, and serious motion towards theocracy where a narrow and hateful brand of Christian fundamentalism would rule
- the suppression of science that doesn’t fit the extreme right’s religious, political and economic agenda; if allowed to continue, this will inflict a terrible price on present and future generations
- the promotion of a culture of greed, bigotry, and intolerance
Each of these actions exacts an enormous human toll, and taken together the whole package is far worse. It is unrelenting and extremely dangerous. As the call for The World Can’t Wait–Drive Out the Bush Regime states: “The Bush regime is setting out to radically remake society very quickly, in a fascist way, and for generations to come. We must act now; the future is in the balance.”
Neither the full magnitude nor the staggering implications of the Bush program are well understood. The administration systematically lies about its actions and agenda, while the major media and Democrats allow it to frame the overall discussion. As a result, the most crucial issues are not discussed truthfully either in the public arena or in election campaigns. This is a major reason why public resistance to Bush’s outrages is nowhere near what is urgently needed.
This is why “The World Can’t Wait – Drive Out the Bush Regime” organization, in conjunction with the Bush Crimes Commission and others, are calling for emergency teach-ins—in communities, on campuses, and in homes—to explore the actual content of the Bush program and where it is taking the people of the world.
* * * * *
To contact the national teach-in organizers, please write firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please take steps immediately to organize an event on your campus or in your community, or hold a house party to watch one of the Bush Crimes Commission videos and discuss these issues.
We’re aiming for a nationwide impact building off October 5. Having hundreds of teach-ins on campuses and in communities across the country on the same day (or days) will make a statement that many, many people want to learn and discuss the truth about the Bush regime, not media spin and election-driven propaganda. This is a concerted push to raise and discuss the crucial issues of the day which can reframe discussion and break through the suffocating and false terms that characterizes what passes for debate in this country.
More info at Bush Crimes Commission: http://www.bushcommission.org
If you like this article, subscribe, donate to and sustain Revolution newspaper.