Revolution #154, February 1, 2009
What Revolution Readers Can Do to Plan and Build for Darwin Day
- Promote and popularize the book by Ardea Skybreak, The Science of Evolution and the Myth of Creationism: Knowing What’s Real and Why it Matters (Insight Press, 2006).
- Darwin Day should be a focused period to introduce people to this and popularize the science of evolution.
- The pictorial centerfold should be prominently featured when going out to events and into the neighborhoods.
- Talk to teachers and students about adding The Science of Evolution to course curricula and having Darwin Day on campus and a discussion of the this book in the classroom.
- Talk to local independent bookstores about carrying The Science of Evolution.
- Sell and distribute the special Darwin Day issue of Revolution coming out on February 9. This issue will include:
- A major article on the significance of Darwin and the science of evolution to humanity and its emancipation
- An article debunking the myth that Darwinism is racist
- Special Darwin Day promotion of The Science of Evolution: Knowing What’s Real and Why It Matters and Away With All Gods: Unchaining the Mind and Radically Changing the World
- The Defend Science Initiative Darwin Day 2009 Statement
- Correspondence from prisoners about The Science of Evolution and the importance of understanding the world as it really is
- Get together with friends, come down to the Revolution Books store in your area, discuss the special issue of Revolution and Darwin Day, and make plans to get it out broadly.
- Reach out to and connect with different sections of the people with The Science of Evolution book and the special issue of Revolution: in the projects and neighborhoods of the oppressed, at high schools, and on college campuses. Figure out ways to get this issue into the hands of prisoners.
- Contact and work with teachers to celebrate Darwin Day in their classrooms and on campus.
- Contact and work with scientists to speak at Darwin Day programs.
- Attend Darwin Day events in your local area and get out the paper and sell the The Science of Evolution book.
- Be part of a big push to go broadly with both Revolution and The Science of Evolution on Evolution Weekend, February 14-15.
- Help plan and build for Darwin Day Revolution Books events and programs.
Revolution Books stores should prominently display The Science of Evolution and Away With All Gods throughout the month of February, along with other important science literature. There should be Darwin Day celebrations and programs at the bookstores that feature the evolution book as one important aspect. A major theme of these programs should be: knowing what’s real and why it matters—and should convey both the sense of excitement and real celebration about what Darwin’s breakthrough has meant and the seriousness of a situation in which it makes a difference that people do take part in events and uphold and defend the science of evolution. Show films with evolution themes. Where possible, invite scientists to talk about Darwin and evolution and what this has meant to mankind and in their field.
- Coming soon online at revcom.us—articles to help build for Darwin Day in your area:
- A letter from a reader on using the pictorial centerfold of the The Science of Evolution to introduce people to the basics of evolution and as part of Darwin Day programs
- A report from the Defend Science Initiative on a recent conference of biologists—learn about the societal scope of Darwin Day and Darwin Year activities, and what these scientists are saying and doing around the attacks on evolution.
- Correspond with Revolution about Darwin Day and the science of evolution. Write us about your experience taking out the special Darwin Day issue of the newspaper and The Science of Evolution book.
Check online at revcom.us during the week for more ideas around Darwin Day.
If you like this article, subscribe, donate to and sustain Revolution newspaper.