OUTRAGE!!! SUPREME COURT DECLARES “WOMEN ARE INCUBATORS!”
That’s what the headlines should have read on Friday, because that is the essence of what happened. The Court ripped away what had been recognized as the constitutionally protected right of women to not bear children against their will—a right that is fundamental to the equality of women. But the Court has now made legal forced motherhood—which is nothing short of female enslavement.
No sooner had the decision been announced than women in 8 states were immediately forbidden to have abortions. At least half the states in the U.S. will move to drastically restrict abortion, with many forbidding it altogether and in some cases criminalizing them completely—even in the most dangerous, psychologically damaging or humiliating circumstances. After the announcement, many clinics shut down and sent home the women waiting there for medical care or stopped scheduling future appointments.
Welcome to the Christian-fascist future. As Bob Avakian, BA, has put it:
Every day, and in a thousand ways, the reality screams out that there is no living together with this fascist lunacy—and no one should want to! There is no way that any decent person should want to live in the society, and world, that these fascists are determined, that they are willing to kill, to bring into being.
Bob Avakian, Something Terrible, Or Something Truly Emancipating: Profound Crisis, Deepening Divisions, The Looming Possibility of Civil War—And The Revolution That Is Urgently Needed. A Necessary Foundation, A Basic Roadmap For This Revolution
The Day of and the Day After…
“Devastated.” “Shocked.” “Sickened.” “Numb.” “Scared.” “Infuriated, absolutely infuriated.” These were the words that decent people used to describe how they felt. People who had known that this was coming, but tried to deny it; people who dreaded this, but did not answer the nearly singular call of Rise Up 4 Abortion Rights to hit the streets and then to take bold actions to disrupt business as usual to fight to keep this right. Even as Rise Up held significant actions, sometimes with thousands, they did not rise to the level to bring society to a halt and force reckoning on this fundamental right of women.
On Friday and Saturday, tens of thousands of those people finally went into the streets. This was good; but this must be a beginning and not an end. Rise Up 4 Abortion Rights led the way in this, continuing and raising to another level the defiant actions they had been doing for weeks. Get with them; support them.
…And the Days Ahead
But there is something even more fundamental at stake. What happened Friday is but one manifestation of a fascist movement that is determined to remake all of society. The question—the big question—is whether something positive, indeed, something liberating, can be wrenched out of this onrushing madness?
The answer is yes. There are TWO possible futures—as BA says in the title to the talk quoted above, one terrible… and one truly emancipating.
In This Is a Rare Time When Revolution Becomes Possible—Why That Is So, and How to Seize on This Rare Opportunity, Bob Avakian makes the point that:
…As the “the normal way” society has been ruled is failing to hold things together—and society is increasingly being ripped apart—this can shake people’s belief that “the way things have always been” is the only way things can be. It can make people more open to questioning—in a real sense it can force people to question—the way things have been, and whether they have to stay that way. And this is all the more likely to happen if the revolutionary forces are out among the people shining a light on the deeper reality of what is happening, and why, and bringing out that there IS an alternative to living this way.
You saw a microcosm of people being forced to question last week. On this website, we answer those questions. We answer them as they express themselves in the battle around abortion. More fundamentally, we answer them in the talk we quoted above from BA, which we run at the top of every issue due to its extreme importance in this period. In this talk, BA says that:
This is one of those rare times and circumstances when revolution becomes possible, not just because this system is always a horror, but because the crisis and deep divisions in society now can only be resolved through radical means, of one kind or another—either radically reactionary, murderously oppressive and destructive means or radically emancipating revolutionary means.
We lay out on this website those “radically emancipating revolutionary means” in many different ways. Organizing for an Actual Revolution: Seven Key Points puts forward in concise terms the strategy to bring about that radically emancipating revolution. And go here to read a letter that gets into the leadership we have for this revolution with Bob Avakian and what it means to follow that leadership—and in particular, how crucial it is to wage ferocious struggle with the ways that people are thinking. Go here to listen to Andy Zee’s important commentary from last week’s RNL—Revolution, Nothing Less!—Show on YouTube, which also touched on the Congressional hearings on Trump’s attempt to overturn the election in 2020. And go to the Constitution for the New Socialist Republic in North America to get a concrete but sweeping sense of the goal of this revolution… what the new society we are fighting to bring into being would look like.
So get into all this, while you are in the streets and while you are kicking it with friends and comrades, new and old. Watch the RNL—Revolution, Nothing Less!—Show on YouTube, return to the current episode, organize people you know to watch the next one, and join the effort to spread the reach of this show throughout society, by going here. And go to the Revolution Club page, where you can find out what it means to concretely get organized into this revolution.
In this issue:
* SOMETHING TERRIBLE, OR SOMETHING TRULY EMANCIPATING: Profound Crisis, Deepening Divisions, The Looming Possibility Of Civil War—And The Urgent Revolution That Is Needed. A Necessary Foundation, A Basic Roadmap For This Revolution, by Bob Avakian
* New posts since June 27:
- Haters Who “Don’t Want to Hear About BA” Are Telling on Themselves
- A Reply to the “Statement Against RiseUp4AbortionRights”: In Defense of the Emancipation of Humanity and the Leadership We Need to Get There
- “Green washes over downtown LA”: June 27 Walkout and March Demands Nationwide Legal Abortion Now
- From RiseUp4AbortionRights.org: The Overturning of Abortion Rights Is ILLEGITIMATE! This Decision Must Not Stand. Into the Streets to Demand: The Federal Government Must Restore NATIONWIDE LEGAL ABORTION NOW!
- San Antonio: 53 Immigrants Suffocate in Back of Trailer: The System of Capitalism-Imperialism—GUILTY of Murder!
* The Fight for Abortion Rights
- Sights & Sounds, June 24 and Beyond: After the Illegitimate Supreme Court Decision Overturns Roe v. Wade: People in the Streets to Demand: Restore Nationwide Legal Abortion Now!
- From the Revolution Club… The Supreme Court Ruling Overturning Roe v. Wade Is ILLEGITIMATE! We Need Resistance and Revolution! read / watch
- Segment from the RNL Show on “The Illegitimate Supreme Court”
- From Bob Avakian:
- The Fight for Abortion Rights and the Emancipation of Women
- The Crucial Fight for Abortion Rights and Ending All Oppression: Broad Unity and Necessary Struggle
- The Supreme Court Moves to End Abortion Rights: “Taking to the Streets” and Refusing to Let This Go Down. Bob Avakian Speaks to This Critical Juncture in the Fight for Abortion Rights, the Road Forward, and Avoiding Dead-Ends
- Prominent Voices Speak Out Against the Supreme Court Decision Overturning Roe
* Important Articles by Bob Avakian Opposing “Woke” Distractions and Obstructions
- A Serious Fight Against Injustice—Not a Petty Hustle for “Ownership”
- Pronouns and Starving Children
- BIPOC Leadership—There Is No Such Thing. The Fight Against Oppression and the Leadership That Is Needed
- Working with Black Panthers, Working for Revolution—Not “Woke Identity” Bullshit